Published 12th March 2014
A pair of Italian thrones, dating from the second quarter of the 16th Century, have been consigned by the Dean and Chapter of Exeter Cathedral.
And before anyone worries about what the Bishop and Dean of Exeter Cathedral will be sitting on in the future, their concerns are groundless as these chairs have been residing in a store for a number of years, having been the original gift of the Reverend Sir Patrick Ferguson Davie (the fifth Baronet) in about 1960, after their purchase in London at that time.
The Ferguson Davie family were a very well known Crediton one, living at Creedy Park, near Sandford. The Right Reverend Charles James Ferguson-Davie was the first Bishop of Singapore, appointed in 1963.
Sir (Arthur) Patrick Ferguson-Davie was the liturgical adviser to the Anglican Province of Jerusalem and the Middle East.
Having been educated at Ely Theological College, he was curate of Littleham near Exmouth from 1934 until 1937 and was Vicar of St Johns in Torquay from 1945 to 1948 and Honorary Chaplain to the Bishop of Exeter in 1949.
The thrones are exciting things to behold, not least from the unanswered question: Were they only a pair of thrones? In which case, they may have been set up in a royal or aristocratic household or, if there were more than two, they may have been seats in a cathedral chapter house.
Charles Tracy discusses the thrones in his book Continental Church Furniture in England.
They will be included in the antique furniture auction of the Spring 2014 Fine Art Sale with a pre-sale estimate of £10,000-£15,000
For further information, please contact Chris Hampton on (01392) 413100.