Skip To Content



Your privacy is important. Our Cookies Statement explains how we use cookies on this site. You can change their use at any time. You accept them by continuing to use this site. Our Privacy Statement explains how we use and protect your data.

Godolphin House, Cornwall

Godolphin House in Cornwall.

Godolphin House in Cornwall.

Sir Alexander Godolghan first purchased the mineral rich Manor of Trescau around 1300 establishing the first manor on site, in the form of a small administrative castle shortly afterwards. By 1475 the Godolphin family had amassed a fortune from their mineral rights, particularly tin, and felt the need for a larger more impressive house further down the slope from the original. Formed from much of the stone from the original castle which was demolished this new architecturally striking house is largely the basis for what exists today except for the extraordinary North Façade. Completed by Sir Francis Godolphin I in the 1630s the size and scale of this seven bay loggia of robust Tuscan columns was relatively modest, but at the time its effect was seriously classical and very grand. The house also boasted some of the earliest formal gardens in Europe and it is perhaps not an exaggeration to say one would have had to travel as far west as Wilton House to find anything else as grand.

It is recorded that the future King Charles II stayed at Godolphin House in 1646. The Godolphin family eventually moved to London in the middle of the 18th century and the new owners the Dukes of Leeds also chose not to live there. A sizeable portion of the house was demolished in 1805 and unsurprisingly the house seemed to slip gently from view.

In 1937 Sydney Schofield, the Suffolk based son of the American Impressionist artist Walter Elmer Schofield heard that Godolphin was for sale. Perhaps it was the article in Country Life that so enamoured him, the photographs of the slightly 'down at heel', but stately pile certainly looked alluring. It seems almost on the spur of the moment he sold his house in Otley and moved lock stock and barrel down to Cornwall with his parents, accompanied on the train journey by his Suffolk Punch horses, their heavy wagons and his pedigree milking herd of Red Poll cattle.

In 1940 Sydney Schofield married Mary Lanyon, the daughter of the St Ives artist Peter Lanyon and together they started the long and expensive process of restoring Godolphin House. Despite assistance from a further generation of family, involvement from English Heritage, opening to the public and the sale of the surrounding land to the National Trust the task of restoration proved too expensive and too difficult to complete. It was the late Sydney Schofield's desire that if the family were unable to maintain the house the National Trust should acquire it and keep it within the public domain.

Lots from Godolphin House were sold in our 1st July 2008 Seasonal Sale.

Tags

  • Godolphin House Sale

Social Bookmarks

Please click the following links to flag this article to other people on the Internet.

About the Author

Nic SainteyNic Saintey
Ceramics and Glass

Nic Saintey is a Director of Bearnes Hampton & Littlewood, with responsibility for marketing and advertising. He is also Head of the Ceramics and Glass Department.

Nic Saintey's first career was in the Armed Forces where he served both as a military parachutist and paramedic in Europe, North America, East Africa and the Middle East.

He joined Lawrence’s of Crewkerne in early 1995 before moving to their Taunton branch as a general valuer and saleroom manager.

Nic joined Bearne’s in June 2000 to head up the expanding ceramic department, before joining the Board in 2003. His effervescent nature and wide experience has seen him regularly appear as an expert on the BBC’s Bargain Hunt and Flog It programmes.

He undertakes regular talks and contributes articles to both Devon and Cornwall Life magazines. His interests particularly include pottery in general, but especially that produced in Donyatt and North Devon, he is a keen runner and has recently taken up motor sport at a local circuit.